Tuesday, November 11, 2008

I Love You Grandma Suzie

Today has been a weird day already. First off I woke up way too late and I'm still rubbing the sleep out of my eyes. The first thing I do when I get up is check the time, then I reach for my phone to see if I slept through any calls or texts. My mom sent me a text this morning that said my Great Grandmother has passed away last night. She was 96 and had lived an amazing life. She was a member of the American Red Cross and has been a member for at least 75+ years. As far as my records are concerned she was one of the longest running members of the Red Cross. 

I loved her. But I feel a better sense of passing than I did with my Grandfather. I was told some of her last words were "I'm ready to meet the Lord." Now I'm not a religious man at all really but I still have a respect for those who are. My Grandmother was a saint. She was a wonderful sweet woman who never wanted to hurt anyone. This is a woman who at 92 went outside in the Michigan winter to feed the birds. Upon leaving her home to head down to feed the birds she slipped on the icy steps breaking her ankle. She got up and fed the birds anyway. She was unaware to the extent of the damage but dammit she was going to feed some birds. When she finished she went inside and called for help knowing that something was wrong with her foot. This woman was built from stone I swear to god. I don't know where it is we go to when we die, I don't know if we go anywhere, but if there is a Heaven this woman deserves entry. I'm very sad to know that she's gone but it warms my heart that her faith was so strong in what she believed in. She's in a better place now. I love you Great Grandma Suzie.

Much love and peace,
Martin (as she knew me)

No comments: